Thursday, November 20, 2014

Make My Life an Alleluia

I was blessed recently to hear Ruth Elaine Schram's choir anthem, "Make My Life an Alleluia," for the first time.  I've found myself thinking about the second verse numerous times since then.

"Make my life an alleluia, a gift of love to You, my King.
I will join with all creation in the song that the heavens sing!
The earth will turn, and the planets spin, 
as the seasons ebb and flow;
Still, Your grace surrounds me as I go.
Lord, make my life an alleluia."

I have really found myself discerning the ebb and flow of the seasons, and how they return.  This might have a little to do with the fact that I now spend my work days focused on people who are aging, and the resulting impact that my job change is having on my contemplation of my own life course. Experiences of this week have added to all this deep thinking....

- "The earth will turn..."  I was on the Eastern Shore for a Learning Circle at the Hermitage on Tuesday.  I had just sat down to have breakfast when a familiar face appeared to my right.  There stood a former Exceptional Education teacher that I had worked with in the Henrico County Public Schools more than 15 years ago.  A reunion in the least expected place.  

- "...and the planets spin..."  During that Learning Circle, I was struck by a story shared by one of the participants.  He told us about both of his grandmothers who would tug on their gray hair and say, "You don't get this by being stupid."  I had to stop momentarily and consider how God's grace has sustained me to this point of gray hairs and the amazing people of generations before me who have mentored me by their wisdom and experience.  

- "...as the seasons ebb and flow..."  I was at a conference in Nashville several weeks ago when a woman asked if she could join the three of us who were sitting together.  As she introduced herself, I realized that she was the woman I had been sharing emails and telephone conversations with for 6 or more years as part of my service on the SEMAR Board of Trustees for the Southeastern Jurisdiction of The UMC.  Through all those years, we had never met, but suddenly in Nashville, we found each other.  She asked before leaving if she could take a selfie with me just to prove to all the others she worked with that I really did exist.  Today, one of her coworkers who had been in on many of those same emails and phone calls, called our office asking for the development person.  He got to me, and we talked as if we had known each other for years - not just as faceless voices, but true friends. 

God's plans, not mine.  God's timing, not mine.  God's grace: thank God it's mine! Now if my life can just be an alleluia, a gift of love in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment