Sunday, September 21, 2014

Thank Offerings

Here is the final devotion to go along with September's lessons in the International Bible Study series (for Sunday, September 28th).  The scripture focus is Jeremiah 33:2-11.  Again, if you haven't been following and want to know why this is being posted, look back 3 weeks.  After this, I'll be back to "normal" entries, whatever that is for me!  Here's the devotion, written during my last week working with the VAUMC Conference....

As I write this final devotion, I am close the end of my 14 years of service as part of the Connectional Ministries staff.  The question that caught my attention in the preparation materials for this week’s lesson was: “How do you mourn your losses?”  Let’s see, for the last few weeks, I’ve cried every time I’ve been asked to pray at the start or close of a meeting or phone call, while offering the blessing before a meal, and during the entire time that I was assisting Bishop Cho with serving Communion as the Bishop’s Cabinet and Connectional Ministries staff gathered together.  Yesterday, the tears came as I read cards from my fellow staff members.  Tonight it was while writing an email message for a gift I was honored to receive.  So, how do I mourn my losses while at the same time being excited about new possibilities?  I am eagerly looking forward to new things to learn, new adventures to undertake, and new relationships to form. Wait a minute!  Didn’t I start these devotions saying the same thing?

Jeremiah is still imprisoned when God reminds him once again that those who seek God and call upon God’s name will be joyful once again.  The voices of the faithful will be heard singing, laughing, and rejoicing.  They will bring their thank offerings to the Lord.  

Just like the inhabitants of Judah who had turned away from God, I’m giving thanks that God forgives:
- all my mistakes when I didn’t make the best choices over these 14 years – no, let me be honest and say over the last 53 years,
- my pride that doesn’t always let me admit I’m not perfect,
- procrastination when I’ve had lots of time to prepare,
- my weakness when I’ve thrown up my hands and yelled, “I can’t do this,” while knowing that God is the one who equips,
- and my complaining and whining which are certainly not reflective of who God wants me to be.

And I remember that God offers the healing:
- as I need to forgive myself for things left undone,
-when I harbor grudges or have a hard time forgiving the hurts,
- in times when I’ve had to accept God at work in ways that I didn’t plan for or want.

And I bring my thank offerings, realizing that difficult times are followed by recovery, that tears often come before laughter, that it takes chaos to bring about calm, and after Good Friday comes Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment