Tuesday, July 15, 2014

And It All Started with Simple “Hellos”

I'm coming to the end of my Top Ten Faith Lessons.  Here's Lesson #2 for this week.

In the moment it takes to say “Hello” and offer a hand or hug in friendship, 
the world can change for one person.

I’ve been reflecting a lot in the last week about how I started my position on the Virginia Conference Connectional Ministries staff.  Most of you know by now that I will be leaving the staff on August 8.  Last week was extremely emotional, much more than I ever anticipated.  On Wednesday, I shared with the Bishop’s Vital Congregations Steering Team about my first three weeks on the job back in 2000.  It was hard to hold back tears as I told them of the requirement that the Personnel Committee first made clear during the initial interview that whomever took this position would travel for the first 3 weeks with the Voices of Youth, our Conference mission youth choir.  Little did I know how lasting friendships would be formed on that trip and the adventures that would take place between Salem, VA, and Tampa, FL, then back through the Virginia Conference.  It’s amazing now to see how the 47 youth who were on that trip are continuing to change lives through their ministries in various occupations in communities far and wide....And it all began with simple “hellos” at First UMC in Salem a little more than 14 years ago.

That trip also brought my first experience at Camp Rainbow Connection, where I got off the bus to find a camper stuck on top of a local fire truck.  He had gotten up there to ride in a parade through downtown Blackstone, but then couldn’t get down.  There was a whole group of CRC staff and volunteer fire fighters trying to get Barry down off that truck.  Last Thursday, I went to tell the On-Site Directors at Camp Rainbow Connection that I would be leaving.  We decided not to tell anyone else right then, but I certainly fought the tears as the campers and staff members told me they hoped I’d be back next year for the whole week.  As I drove up to the Assembly Center (...sorry, I will never be able to call it the Blackstone Conference and Retreat Center), I remembered that first day at camp in 2000 – arriving to Barry being stuck on the fire truck. And as I left in the rain on Thursday, I remembered leaving in the rain that very first week.  It was pouring rain as we boarded the Voices of Youth bus to begin the Virginia tour.  As the bus pulled out of the parking lot, Rev. Barry Foster shared story from the dedication of the new chapel at Africa University.  Dr. James Davis, president of Shenandoah University from 1982 – 2008, was in attendance for that dedication.  The rains came in and poured for days, including the big day of the ceremony.  But Dr. Davis said that it didn't dampen spirits at all because in that part of Africa, rain is the "BEST BLESSING" God can bestow on God's people.  He compared it to American's and our disappointment when it “rains on our parade” and how different the attitude was with the people of Zimbabwe on that dedication day....And it all started with simple “hellos” as a small parade crisis was being calmly handled.

Toward the end of that 2000 VOY trip, a song was composed that I have kept all these years.  It speaks to me again today, and so I share it with you.

STEPPING UP
Voices of Youth 2000

We stand upon the narrow step, and ask if God’s around.
We move up to the wider step, and know His love abounds.

Take a look and see that others need more help than me.
Who will stop and help them up as others pass them by?

No one seems to notice on that stair step there
That’s where I used to stand before, before I felt God’s care.

You meet someone who walks with you and shares your every stride.
God’s presence makes us sure of step; His love we cannot hide.

With innocent and childlike trust, His hand just reaches out
Helping others up the stairs as life goes rushing by…

Take a look and see; others need more help than me.
Who will stop and help you up as others pass you by?
Who will stop and help you up as others pass you by?
As others pass you by, as others pass you by

Words by Jerry Morgan
Guitar chords by David Crosier
Arrangement by Nicole Newcome and Kate Gillette
July 2000

I also have to include one of my very favorite pictures from these last 14 years.  It was taken on that trip and work at the Rosa Valdez Center in Tampa.  I don't recall the name of this little guy, but his smile still lives with me.




That one moment when you reach out in Christian love – even if just to say “Hello” and offer a hand or a hug - may totally transform another person’s life.  What an awesome responsibility!  Never let that opportunity pass by. It may even be your life that is changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment