Monday, December 2, 2013

Have I Got News for You!

The Rev. Dr. Bill Self, former pastor of Johns Creek Baptist Church in Alpharetta, GA, has written that his favorite Christmas story is about the young boy who was given a very important role in the church Christmas play. He was to be the angel and announce the birth of Jesus. For weeks he rehearsed the line that had been given to him, "Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy."

Any time the family was together and the boy was there, they would dress him up in his costume and he would rehearse his part. They were certain that he would grow up to become an actor because of his dramatic ability.

The great night came for the Christmas pageant and everybody was in place. Family members and visitors had come from far and near. There was great excitement. The spotlight hit the young boy and as he stood center stage, his brain froze. Every grandparent, aunt, uncle and neighbor came to the edge of their seats, wanting to say the line for him. Still, his brain was frozen; he couldn't say it. So, finally, in a heroic moment he filled his lungs with breath and blurted out the words, "Have I got news for you!"

I can relate.  I was 10 or so, in the fifth grade, during the time when you could still have religious Christmas pageants in public schools.  I was chosen to be Mary.  I have no memory of where the costume came from, other than thinking one of the local churches had loaned it to the school.  I do remember that I had gotten a true 70's style rain jacket from one of our neighbors around the same time:  sheer nylon outside over big gold and orange flowers so that you could see the flowers through the outside weatherproof material.  I loved that jacket!  So much so that, when we left home, I had to wear it to the play over my costume.  Nobody told me until the play was done that I had forgotten to take the jacket off.  To that point, I knew I had to have been the best Mary ever, only to find out that I had given her a new 1970s interpretation.  I was soooooo embarrassed:  Mary, the mother of Jesus, in gold and orange flowered dress.

No matter how long we have been preparing or how many years we have been practicing, we sometimes still find it hard to believe that we are capable of being God’s witnesses of healing, hope, and restoration in this world that is so splintered in anger and strife. We get tongue-tied, embarrassed, anxious, forget the right costume...the list could go on and on.  As we come to this time of Advent, the time of watching, waiting, and rejoicing, to a time in which we can behold God’s deepest love and mercy, may our hearts and spirits be opened to the great news that God is indeed with us in all times and all places. 

May we be faithful witnesses in our proclamation and in our service.

No comments:

Post a Comment