Wednesday, August 7, 2013

“Beat It” or “Change It”

I put off tweeting as long as I could, and I must admit that I’m still a novice at all these new electronic means of communicating (…I mean social networking…) with one another. Yet, this week, I’ve caught the hashtag bug.  First it was the Rocky Mountain Annual Conference because I was curious as to why everybody was tweeting about trees. I learned a lot from the tweets of those attending as they have compared the vitality of churches to the life of trees:  the health of the roots, impact of the environment on the trees, and the animals, birds, and insects that live in them.  Took me a day or two before realizing the theme of the Annual Conference session was “Cultivating the Tree of Life.” But the conversation that has really made me catch the bug is #80schurchmusic.  Maybe it’s a Younger Boomer thing that we can entertain ourselves by changing the titles of pop/rock music hits from the 1980s to reflect church life.  Every denomination and tradition has been made the subject of an altered song title: “Harper Valley PCA,” “I Wish They All Could Be Southern Baptist Girls”, “Papa Don't Preach Pentecostalism,” “Walk Like an Episcopalian,” and "She Blinded Me with Scientology" just to list a few.

But the conversation has also gotten personal with titles like these:
  • “Everybody Wants to Rule the Church”
  • “(Finance Committee Meets…) All Night Long”
  • “Sweet Dreams (of getting out by noon)”
  • “I Still Haven't Found the Committee I'm Looking For”
  • “Time After Time (aka How Many Times Is the Preacher Going to Use That Same Illustration?)”

All this conversation from around the world, laughing together at our church experience in different places and across various traditions…then all of the sudden pops up "Church Is a Battlefield"? Ouch! People see us acting as the song titles describe, and then we wonder why new people don’t come and young people don’t want to stay in church.

In the midst of more titles comes a tweet that reads: “Once again, the church is 35 years behind the culture.” I can attempt to learn to tweet and blog and use my smart phone the best I can, but I see church newsletters all the time that haven’t changed in format since the first one was produced on the original mimeograph machine. Who is that attracting? How is the church changing to meet the demands of new lifestyle, communication, and networking technologies? How much longer can we avoid reality by telling ourselves it is okay not to change just because we’re comfortable where we are (aka “we’ve never done it that way before”)?

In May of 1983 when I graduated from college, Michael Jackson’s “Beat It” was the number one pop song in the country.  Maybe I should add that song to the Twitter conversation as “Change It.”  Today’s culture is certainly different from the world I experienced as a young adult in the 1980s.  And it is certainly not the 1950s anymore when most of our churches were filled with children and everyone in the community seemed to adhere to Christian values. But is your church different today?  Are you…mentoring new leaders and supporting them in leadership roles? …envisioning new ministries to reach diverse people and emerging community needs? Utilizing the gifts, graces, and passions of members and attendees?...exploring the multitude of ways to nurture current disciples and make new ones? If not, start singing “Change It.”


During the same period this year, the top pop song was Pink’s “Just Give Me a Reason.”  It was on my playlist as I walked this morning.  How will people in 30 years change that title to reflect their church experience?  I hope it’s not “Just Give Me a Reason (…to even go to church).”  The future is in our thumbs…I mean hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment